The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has provided financing towards the construction of key components of the Saiss water transfer network and the rehabilitation and modernisation of the water distribution network.
CLOSING DATE: 31 December 2025 at 23:59 (Rabat time)
The EBRD has provided a sovereign loan of up to €150 million (More than $168.6 million) to the Kingdom of Morocco to finance the work mentioned above which also includes the construction of the main distribution pipeline as well as the primary and secondary distribution networks, and the full conversion to the drip-fed watering system in the Garet perimeter.
The project will be implemented by two project implementation units, one for Saiss and one for Garet, that were set up by the Moroccan Ministry of Agriculture, Maritime Fisheries, Rural and Development, Waters and Forests.
The Saiss II Project is part of a staged programme to preserve the Saiss aquifer and promote sustainable water management within the Saiss plain. The Saiss project consists of a hydro-agricultural water transmission and distribution system aiming to preserve the Saiss underground water, which is currently overexploited, by providing alternative surface water from the Mdez dam in Sefrou.
Scope of works
The Saiss II project entails the following contracts:
- Construction of primary distribution network of the Saiss Water Conservation Project (3 lots)
- Construction of the internal distribution network for the irrigation (4 lots)
- Engineering and quality supervision
- Laboratory supervision
- Governance Support
- The tendering for works is expected to begin in September 2020
The Garet project entails the following contracts:
- Construction of two tanks for storage, regulation and decantation of irrigation water
- Adaptation work, renovation of the Transfer Station
- Construction of connecting pipes and civil engineering of land and property, supply and installation of equipment, and rehabilitation of the distribution network
- Construction of new discharge pipes in the transfer station
- Renovation of the Station of Pressurisation
- Adjustment and renovation work on the Sector Pressure Plants
- Realisation of the Collective Filtration;
- Realisation of remote management of the Garet perimeter.
- Project Implementation Support, including Environmental and Social Support
- Technical assistance for the accompaniment of farmers + stakeholder engagement plan (agricultural council and gender)
- Lender’s Independent Monitor (covering both Saiss and Garet)
- Policy Dialogue on Gender
- Additional support for implementation of the project
- Remote management study of Garet perimeter
- Technical assistance for monitoring and control of modernisation/reconversion works with localised irrigation
- Technical Assistance for Internal Equipment (ORMVAM).
Contracts to be financed with the proceeds of a loan from the Bank will be subject to the Bank’s Procurement Policies and Rules and will be open to firms from any country. The proceeds of the Bank’s loan will not be used for the purpose of any payment to persons or entities, for any import of goods, if such payment or import is prohibited by a decision of the United Nations Security Council taken under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations or under a law of official regulation of the Purchaser’s country.
Interested suppliers, contractors and consultants should contact:
MINISTÈRE DE L’AGRICULTURE, DE LA PÊCHE MARITIME, DU DÉVELOPPEMENT RURAL ET DES EAUX ET FORÊTS
DIRECTION DE L’IRRIGATION ET DE L’AMENAGEMENT DE L’ESPACE AGRICOLE
BP 607, Complexe Dbagh – Avenue Hassan II – RABAT – MAROC